Windows Defender adds a layer of security to the data stored on your computer. But there are times when you may face a problem with it and find Windows Defender not working.
As we know a problem well defined is a problem half solved. Let’s concentrate on the reasons behind the problem you are facing with Windows Defender.
- Error in Windows Registry Files
- Conflict with any other third-party security software present on your computer
- Altered System Files
- Outdated Windows Defender database
- Improper Installation of Windows Defender
- You may not have logged in as administrator
- Any malicious program already infected your PC and now it is stopping Microsoft Windows Defender from Scanning your PC
So, now we know the reasons causing Windows Defender Not Working on Windows 10/8/7.
Take a look at these easy fixes to repair Windows Defender.
Easy Fixes to Windows Defender Not Working
Restart your PC
In some cases, it is just that easy and all you have to do is Restarting your PC to resolve the problem. Press the Windows Logo from your Keyboard and Select the Restart option from the shutdown menu.
Run SFC Scannow
You can fix the system files to resolve the problem related to Windows Defender. Follow the steps given below to Run SFC Scannow
- Open the Command prompt Press the Windows Key from the Keyboard
- Type cmd and right click on the ‘Command Prompt’
- Now Click on Run as Administrator
- Click Yes
- Then Type SFC /SCANNOW and hit the Enter button
- Now you need to wait a few minutes to complete the process
- Then Restart your PC
This step requires a little knowledge about the Windows System Files. If you don’t feel confident enough to try these on your own it is highly recommended to try these under experts supervision.
Remove third-party security software
If you have any third party security software installed on your Windows PC, try to uninstall it to run Windows Defender smoothly. It is very simple to do.
All you have to is Going to Control Panel and Select the Uninstall program button from the list. Now Choose the Security Software you need to remove. Right-Click on it and tap the uninstall button.
There can be problem uninstalling the third-party security software following the above process. I have another process for you try the method given below
- Open Windows Run first and then type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and click Run
- Find the security software you want to remove
- Right Click and select the Uninstall button
- Click Next and go through all other additional dialogue boxes
- Finally, Restart your Windows PC to proceed with the changes
Perform a Disk Check
If the problem arose due to disk problems, performing the disk check can surely solve the problem. You can follow the steps given below to run a disk check on your computer.
- Press the Windows Key from your Keyboard
- Then type cmd there
- Now, Right Click on the Command Prompt
- And then Run as administrator
- Now, Click Yes to Continue
- Type chkdsk /f /r, then press Enter on your keyboard
- Press ‘Y’ on your keyboard
Still facing the problem? Reset your Security ccenterServices to solve the issue.
Reset Security Service Center
Follow these simple and easy steps to reset your Security Service Center
- Go to Search and type service.msc, to open services.
- Then, Find the Security Center service.
- Now, Right-Click the Security Centre Services and Select Reset.
- Finally, Restart your computer.
Some Generic Windows Defender Problem
Along with the Windows Defender Not Working issue, you can easily solve the following problem with Windows Defender with the steps given here.
- Unable to activate Windows Defender
- Windows Defender error code 0x800704ec
- Windows Defender is turned off
That’s about it, Anyway Folks! Hope the methods worked for you perfectly to solve your Windows Defender Not Working problem. For any other issue with Windows, you can ask for a solution through the comment box.